Not a Record, but a Darn Good Average

hm1996

Staff member
Well,Jeremy’s blue moon found it’s way all the way to the southern tip of Texas, and worked down here the next day, as well.

I pulled out of camp and pointed the jeep hood to the west Monday morning as the sky began to brighten in the east. We were headed toward the dry lake bed where that big PHD coyote has managed to give us the slip two of the last three stands. He was a no show again this time making it 2 for 2 (twice called, missed once, no shot and then a no show the last two trips).

We gave up on the stand after watching a herd of 20 nilgai bulls and one single nilgai cow grazing just over 100 yards in front of us as they slowly made their way across the lake bed.

26410345647_e19bf1a521_c.jpg

40567972804_25cd8a8cd3_b.jpg

Moved to another prime setup adjacent to the water hole fed by a distant windmill, the one where one of the owls stole my decoy topper a few weeks ago. This time with a dual purpose in mind. I really hoped he would try it again so I could test my owl trap.
sneaky2.gif

40769274832_110c0e7e45_c.jpg

Well the owl was a no show, but at the fifteen minute mark I caught the ears of a coyote racing from my 4 o’clock through the tall grass, making a beeline toward the decoy out front. Could not bark him to a stop and he was only 35 yards away so I couldn’t get turned and on him before he ran between the decoy and call. He caught scent of decoy, sped up even more and turned 90* to the left while my partner, who was sitting just to my left and slightly forward of me also tried unsuccessfully to bring his rifle to bear. The coyote made it into a narrow strip of brush. One of the very few times I’ve wished I had a shotgun, as most of my shots are beyond shotgun range. I could not safely engage him, so told Don to watch the left hand edge of the brush, hoping the coyote would exit and give him an opportunity to make the shot. Sure enough, I caught a movement back in the brush in time to whisper a warning just before the coyote stepped out and posed broadside long enough for the shot.

This very old male had a bad case of mange, some sort of gum disease and severe dental problems.

40568012394_3ea38a4366_c.jpg

40385463165_49397327de_c.jpg

Made one more stand and about 10 minutes elapsed when a coyote came in hot running right to left across the sendero right up to the decoy. Once more, barking failed to slow him. As he approached the decoy, he smelled it and turned inside out and retraced the steps from whence he came at double time. We both got him in our scopes, but neither of us could center the crosshairs before he made it back to the brush line.

As we both sat there with our mouths open with the hurt coyote pup wailing full volume in the background, the coyote exited the brush line 125 yards downrange, trotted back across the sendero and turned back toward us, running toward the decoy a few yards before halting broadside.

We both swung on him but Don’s trigger broke first, spinning the coyote. Before he could work his bolt, my .308 finished the job. Both our bullets were a bit far back. His 243 100 gr. NP went straight through the rib cage; he was probably spinning on his side as my 125 gr. NBT entered rib cage beside Don's and exited through the spine. Another very mature male with what I believe is the worst case of mange I have ever seen.

39472502480_708ebd7f2d_c.jpg

26410430407_4c8842765c_c.jpg

Decided to go to camp for lunch before making another stand, but received a phone call as we pulled up to the camp house requiring my presence at home, so we hurriedly put the jeep in shed and headed to the house.

Half day hunts two weeks in a row sure isn’t a record but it’s a darn good average and I’ll take it when I can get it. Hoping to make it three, but looking a bit doubtful at the moment.

Regards,
hm

HOMAnimated-S.gif

Man you got some ugly coyotes down there.

What's all that green stuff in your dry lake bed? All ours are flat dirt and hard as pavement.

Good to see you getting out hm.

Originally Posted By: crapshootMan you got some ugly coyotes down there.

What's all that green stuff in your dry lake bed? All ours are flat dirt and hard as pavement.

Good to see you getting out hm.

Those are some of the worst I've seen.

Actually the water level has been so low so long that the grass & weeds have covered some of the surrounding higher ground where the nilgai were when picture taken. Water doesn't get that far up except during wettest years.

Thanks, it feels good to get out even for shorter hunts.

Regards,
hm

That is an old coyote, makes you wonder how they adapt to eating carrion with teeth worn down like that..

What was you going to do with the owl if you caught it?

Originally Posted By: Wile E Coyotie
And a Stubby at that
Regards

That picture does look like he had a foot missing. If so, I didn't notice it at the time, but gotta admit, I didn't handle him very much.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Infadel 762That is an old coyote, makes you wonder how they adapt to eating carrion with teeth worn down like that..

IMG_2676-X2.jpg

Oh, I didn't expect to catch him. The washer just slips over the spike leaving about 2' of slack in the string. Just wanted to see the owl hit the end of the string and see if he could hang onto the topper
lol.gif

That's another old one in your pic. The gums on that first coyote we shot seemed to be really swollen in addition to the light pink coloration....ever seen one like that, Jeremy?

Regards,
Clarence

Originally Posted By: hm1996Originally Posted By: Wile E Coyotie
And a Stubby at that
Regards

That picture does look like he had a foot missing. If so, I didn't notice it at the time, but gotta admit, I didn't handle him very much.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Infadel 762That is an old coyote, makes you wonder how they adapt to eating carrion with teeth worn down like that..

IMG_2676-X2.jpg

Oh, I didn't expect to catch him. The washer just slips over the spike leaving about 2' of slack in the string. Just wanted to see the owl hit the end of the string and see if he could hang onto the topper
lol.gif

That's another old one in your pic. The gums on that first coyote we shot seemed to be really swollen in addition to the light pink coloration....ever seen one like that, Jeremy?

Regards,
Clarence

I have seen them with warts but I'm not sure about swollen like that. I have not used an actual decoy in a while, when I did I had owls attack it, raccoons too. I had owls actually land nearby an walk up on it, most would just land real close and stare it down, like hawks do. When you call in coons you can howl and it will usually tree them.

Back